Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Today

Now that the bday's over, (yes sad, I know, but they do only come once a year) I gotta move on. I live knowing there will be no birthday cake for me for at least another 360ish days... and that's if I milked it a bit to get the cake early.

In light of my newfound maturity, I am posting an entry written by one of my favorite authors, Federick Beuchner. Beuchner, a Christian man, writes profoundly and honestly about the both the difficulties and joys of life. And it's about time someone told it like it is. Not only this, but he demonstrates what a life of faith and thought can produce. Today I'm encouraged to live my life with purpose in order to find the sacred in everything. No, it's not my "special" day anymore... but then again... each morning I wake and breathe and live and have the chance for life to be a endless slice of goodness. Read on.

"Listen to your life. All moments are key moments.

I discovered that if you really keep your eye peeled to it and your ears open, if you really pay attention to it, even such a limited and limiting life as the one I was living on Rupert Mountain opened up onto extraordinary vistas. Taking your children to school and kissing your wife goodbye. Eating lunch with a friend. Trying to do a decent day's work. Hearing the rain patter against the window. There is no event so commonplace but that God is present within it, always hiddenly, always leaving you room to recognize him or not to recognize him, but all the more fascinatingly because of that, all the more compellingly and hauntingly.... If I were called upon to state in a few words the essence of everything I was trying to say both as a novelist and a preacher, it would be something like this: Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and the gladness: touch, tase, smell your way into the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace."

- Frederick Beuchner

1 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

Hey Pablo-
I've been reading your blog for little while now (heard about it through the Langhans). The Buechner quote is good stuff. (Happy Birthday btw) I envy you right now, I stinkin' LOVE Japan. I backpacked around there for a couple weeks a few years ago. I applied for JET, but it didn't work out. (Translation: I got rejected.) I am over here at Gordon-Conwell, this is year two for me. Anyhoo, hope you are well. Drop me a line sometime if you like.
Cheers,
Troy
www.hesnotamelion.blogspot.com

2:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home