Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Back Home?

As for my recent lapse on the blogspot- sorry peeps. I was in Spain having the time of my life without a cable to upload all the pics. Boo. But, now I am back home (really this is home now?) in Japan and back to life... back to reality. (okay, who else was singing along with that song... anyone know the song I mean?) I'm still a bit jet lagged and trying to adjust back to games of charades to explain myself, weird Japanese television, and being illiterate. Good times.

Anyway, so yesterday I called my old college roommate, Tara, just to say hello and catch up with her. She was in Spain with me last year, so she knows all the fam and it's nice to reminisce with someone who knows what you are talking about. [p.s. let me just say that's why you all reading this should come and visit me in Japan... then when we talked we could reminisce about weird Japanese people and stories and it would be hysterical.]

Okay, so I'm talking to Tara and here's the dialogue:

Tara: So what are you doing right now?

Me: Uhhhhhh, I'm actually eating sushi and watching sumo.

Tara: Wow, you really are Japanese now.

Me: I know!

Both: (laughing)

I guess I really have integrated my life into the Japanese culture. Okay, well, that's if watching sumo and eating sushi make you Japanese. But, amazingly, I was somewhat eerily happy to be home after leaving Spain. Don't get me wrong, it was SO hard to leave the family in Terrassa this year. I didn't want to leave. At all. I mean, really, not one shred of me wanted to come back to Japan at the time. But, once I got back into Narita Airport, and I was on the train, I somehow smiled to be home. Weird, I know. I zoomed by all the Japanese style houses and the fields and the countryside, with the sun shining, and somehow, I felt alright about it. It was a weird feeling. Maybe this place really is becoming home.

1 Comments:

Blogger suzan said...

Welcome back, Chica. So good to see you posting on the blog. I wanted to let you know that I'll be in Tokyo in March, March 24 - April 2 to be exact. I hope I can see you one of those days!

Suzan

11:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home