Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Reunited and It Feels So Good....

Best friends are great. And to have mine in Tokyo was a de-lite. Here's the update...

DAY 1

Wednesday night we went to see a local baseball game. The Lions game was sweet- we won the game AND we got cool balloons to release during the Japanese version of the 7th inning stretch. They sing their team's anthem and then at the end of the song let the balloons go which creates the most deafening, horrificly amusing sound. It was fun.



Here's Melissa and Grant at the game, loving their first full day in Japan.



Then you got me and Aiko, my Japanese counterpart and translator/interpreter of all weird Japanese things.



Put all of us together and what do you get? Internationalization at it's finest. Well done, JET progam, well done.

DAY 2

I surprised Melissa and Grant and took them to Tokyo Disneyland. I was already going with my school's students on their day trip so I figured I'd bring the two gaijin around to have some fun. Turned out the weather was not so agreeable but it actually worked in our best interest... NO ONE was at the park. In only half the day we had ridden on every single ride and some we went on twice. It had rained that morning but an hour into our trip the rain had stopped and we had the park to ourselves. It was all the best of Disneyland without the insanity of waiting in hours and hours of lines to see Mickey for 0.2 seconds.



So here are Lis and I with one of the Tweedle Brothers... I'm not sure if it's Dee or Dum, but more importantly does anyone else think that Melissa's hand is a little too low?!? ;)



And, here are Grant, Melissa and I posing with some of my students at Disneyland. My students met Melissa and Grant the previous day when they observed my class and the kids FREAKED to see the massively tall foreigners with crazy hair. They were total superstars in Nihon. Darn my half-blood, I just blend in.

Anway.... there's so much more to tell. Tomorrow Melissa and Grant leave and I will be so very sad but I will post more blogs so I can remember all the bizarreness of this week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Hey Christina!
How was the golden week? Sounds like you had a good time with friends from home. I don`t know if we talked about this already or not, but are you planning on heading back to Seattle at some point?

-Scott

9:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home