Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

You Know You Have To

Today is White Day in Japan, a day started by chocolate companies to boost their sales once Valentine's Day is over. In Japan, only women give chocolate on Valentine's Day. Chocolates are given to sweethearts but also to coworkers and especially bosses. These chocolates are an intricate part of the Japanese workplace and even have a special name, "giri choco" or "duty chocolate." The chocolate is expected from female coworkers as a duty and women usually spend around $5-$10 on a box of chocolate for bosses and single chocolates or sweets for colleagues. So, this year, for Valentine's Day I wanted to try and play this game, so I bought chocolates for my principal and vice principal, the teachers in my department and my neighbors in my apartment building. (I have only met one of my neighbors but they all got the cocoa goodies on V-day.)

Now, there is a second part to women giving chocolate on Valentine's day. It's White Day, and it's today. On this day, men give chocolate or gifts to their sweethearts and return the gift of chocolates to coworkers. Returning gifts, or giving a gift as a token of thanks is normal and expected in Japan. It's called "kaeshi." Today I got my "giri kaeshi." By giving chocolate on Valentine's Day I obligated my neighbors, coworkers and maybe even bosses to return the favor. I think it's a really funny game to force people into giving me gifts! Sure enough, my coworkers brought me sweets, my vice principal gave me a box of cupcakes, and waiting for me when I got home were two neatly wrapped bags of cookies from two separate neighbors.

Ahhh... Japan.... we must maintain good relations and therefore give gifts, even if insincerely given. I feel so loved!

2 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin Langhans said...

After reading your blog, I felt obligated to leave you a comment.

10:53 PM

 
Blogger suzan said...

I LOVE Japan!!!

12:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home