Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

10 Things I Hate about You (You=Japan)

Here's my top ten list- well the first installment anyway... It hasn't been well thought out. It's whatever enrages me most at this very moment. Be prepared for ranting.

10. THE WEATHER: It seems no matter what season, the weather in Japan is God-awful. Now, I can't say I'm really qualified to make this statement, being that I haven't even lived through the four seasons in Japan as of yet, but so far, it's lame. Winter is freezing. Its only upside is that it's not a wet winter, actually rather dry. But... it's still numbingly cold. Then of course when it's not winter it's summer, and scorchingly hot. The himidity is insufferable and you can barely breathe let alone walk or move or even live. So, what about fall and spring, you ask? Well, autumn's cool weather with a little bit of sunshine lasted but only a few days, pushing a couple of weeks. And as for spring, it has yet to be seen. Spring is supposed to be beautiful with the cherry blossoms but... it's rainy season. Oh joy.

9. HYGIENIC "DIFFERENCES": Japan has a weird cleanliness fetish. They are overly careful about certain things and just don't seem to care about others. (Granted, I'm sure they think Americans have crazy habits, too) For example, dirt and shoes. Shoes must always, always be taken off in homes. This I totally understand. But... I have to take off my shoes and wear slippers at school. And even then in school there are "gym" shoes Taking off heels in a gym I can understand, but taking off your indoor slippers?!? I just don't see it. Why the paranoia about a little dirt?

Okay, so besides the shoe thing, the Japanese also have weird bacterial preconceptions. They wear surgical masks when they are sick, out of consideration for those around them. First of all, this jsut seems bizarre to me. It looks crazy SARS-ish and makes me think they have some highly contagious disease when it's really just a sore throat. But, the real question is if the mask really helps. As far as I know, the mask may stop some air-borne bacteria from getting to others, but it ain't really doin' all that much.

Alright, so far, the Japanese seem rather hyper-hygienic, but there are other areas where ya just think, WHAT?!?! For example, heated toilet seats- really common in Japan. I'll be honest, it's rather pleasant on a cold day to warm up your toosh... but think about the massive amounts of festering bacteria. Ugh...I'd actually rather not think about it. And yes, public nose pickers are completely accepted in this nation. AND... I never see Japanese people wash their hands in the bathroom. I always hope the lady next to me will surprise me and wash her hands, but she just never does. And you know if the ladies aren't doin' it the men certainly aren't.

SO, I will leave my top 10 list to just 2 for today. I'll save the pent up aggression for another day.

p.s. I swear I love my life in Japan, I really do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

When I was in Aomori/Iwate several winters ago I kinda liked the heated toilet seat...it was the only warm place in the house! Of course, what about the onsens? Sweet!

4:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home