Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Obstacle #369: The School Cafeteria

Every day the school cafeteria is an adventure. They always make great, home cooked food.... but it's always a little tricky when the menu is in kanji. (by the way, did I mention I'm still illiterate?!) So, my kitchen staff know I like veggies, steer clear of the fried goods, and despise anything too fishy or seaweedy. They usually do a good job guessing what I would like.

Then there are days like today, when I just didn't get what I was expecting or hoping for. I sat down at the table all alone with the baseball team sitting at the other end and tried to eat what was in front of me. It was actually tasty, just not what I was in the mood for if you know what I mean. I almost cried. I wondered, "Is this PMS or just part of living in a foreign country?"

3 Comments:

Blogger suzan said...

Ahhh...take heart, Pablita. We'll soon be in Tokyo and you can come and play with us.

s.

12:24 AM

 
Blogger Benjamin Langhans said...

School Cafeterias... reminds me of the Northwest. I still recall that first conversation in the cafe between you and me... comapring the style of San Fran. with what was all the rage with conservative, sheltered, young, PKs, who still called their daddy... uh, daddy.

Just missin' you Pabs, so I thought I would give you a shout out.

2:38 AM

 
Blogger Scott said...

Christina! Hey, sorry to hear you had the kyuushoku blues. I can completely understand what you're going through. The doldrums of JET life can sometimes get the best of us. If you're ever feeling like you wanna shake things up, don't hesitate to give me shout. Me and some other JETs are gonna start hiking next month after the snow melts (what else are we gonna do, we life in friggin' Gunma! :) Let me know if you're interesting in stretching those legs and getting some frest air. Anyways, Hang in there! Let's do Tokyo some time! :)

1:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home