Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Awkward Train Moments

Tonight, I attempted to play soccer for the first time in probably a good 5 years. Maybe I kicked a ball around once or twice in college, but I was way too busy pretending to study, leaving no time for giving soccer a go. But, if you're not familiar with the Pablo clan, we are soccer people. The World Cup is hands down my favorite sporting event. I could watch soccer for hours and not grow weary. But... actually put me on a field with two nets, a ball and people who actually know what they're doing and I freeze. I tried tonight but I was running around madly, figuring what I lacked in skill I would make up for with hustle. I felt bad for my team (having the lame girl) on their side, but I did what my poor little legs could.

Anyway, back to the title of this blog, on the way home I rode back with a friend of a friend. We've met once and our last conversation was torturous. The boy just lacks in conversation skills. So, needless to say, I wasn't too excited about the one-on-one train conversation that was about to ensue. Being all tuckered out from the game, I really didn't even feel like talking, but of course I tried to not be rude.

It went something like this.,..(I won't torture you by word for word transcribing the awkwardness)

Awkward Boy: "So, Christy, you live in Sayama-shi, right?"
Me; "Uh, it's Christina and I live in Sayamagaoka."

a few seconds later...

Awkward Boy:"Did you want to stop in Tokorozawa for a beer?"
Me;"Well, I'm actually not much of a drinker and I'm pretty tired."
Awkward Boy: "I'll make you a deal. How about if I buy the train ticket?" (he should have offered to buy the beer!)
Me: "Uh, nah, I'm gonna pass."

[Insert: lots of random comments about Formula One racing, his Japanese girlfriend, and other things I have blocked from my memory.]

Then, in an effort to be nice I offer him a snack...

Me:"Oh, hey, I have a couple bananas in my bag. Would you like one?"
Awkward Boy: "No. I just downloaded the 16th season of the Simpsons."

HUH?!?! I gave up right then and there and pretended to be asleep the ride home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home