Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Deadlines

In my line of work, I don't face too many serious deadlines. I prepare lessons, yes, and I have to have everything ready by the time the students walk in the door, but... it's no matter of life and death. And being the procrastinator that I am, there's always the last minute "I'm-winging-it-hoping-my-students-don't-notice" lessons. However, these days I'm confronted with one deadline: my re-contracting deadline. Should I work on the JET program for one more year until July 2008? Can I handle this country another year?! I'm just not sure. I need your help, por favor.

Here are the options. Please send in your responses and based on audience opinion I'll make my decision.

1. Stay another year on JET. Work the 3rd year at my same school, teaching the same exact lessons again. I will teach 11 hours a week but be at school 40 hours. So, for you math whizes, I'll have 29 hours a week of free time to prepare lessons (yeah, riiiiight), study japanese, go for my afternoon jog and do whatever else my little heart pleases. I will make good money for a no-stress life, and I will have lots of time to travel around Asia and enjoy myself.

2. Stay in Japan another year, but find a cooler, more challenging job. I will explore different job opportunities, maybe in tourism, international business, or even some pr stuff. It's a risk- I'm not too sure of my qualifications but at least it will be a chance to try something else and gain some new skills in case I don't want to teach forever. And, while I'm young, why not take some risks? If I take a differnt job, I will have to move out of my free housing and will undoubtedly earn about the same if not less and have to pay more in housing as well as not having as much vacation time. Not to mention I will probably actually have to work when I am at work. Imagine that. But... on the upside, I can get a job where I speak more Japanese and will be able to increase my language skills while earning money.

3. Peace out of Japan and head to Europe. Yeah, well, if I'm done with Japan, the next place calling my name is my good ol' hometown in Spain. I will look for work possibly teaching, or tourism with the Japanese people. I will live with my family there rent-free, save some cash and work as little or as much as I like. I have a passport, so I don't have to worry about the visa, but I realize that I can be in Spain anytime so there isn't too much rush. If I do take option 3, I will be leaving Japan with conversational level Japanese, but it won't be business level yet. I will also have no work experience directly related to anything but teaching... so what kind of work will I actually be able to find in Spain?! Who knows. Good thing I do love teaching, because that will probably be my best bet.

4. Forget Japan. Forget Europe. Join a gang of pirates, sail the ocean and take lots of booty. I will get to have a cool pirate name, wear an eye patch and cool striped outfits, and can drink beer while I mop the deck. Maybe they will even give me a big sword or machete or some other equally scary weapon. I will also be really tan from lots of sun while on the deep blue and I will be in top physical form because I will spend my days beating people up to get their treasure. I think it could be a good life.

So, let me know what you guys think. I'm leaning towards option 4, but I need to get some second opinions. Ladies and gentleman, cast your votes soon... the deadline is approaching and the clock ain't standing still.

6 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin Langhans said...

Ahoy Matey! I have to admit that I eargerly read all four options and came to the end with a deep and painful sense of disappointment at the missing option! Where, o where, is the option to come back to Seattle and work at Red Robin? ha.
Truly I am jealous of all the exciting options you have on hand. I am not excited for you about having to choose one, becausee that seems like it must be all sorts of difficult. So...I vote for 4, but realize that the likelihood of you having to swap the deck and buckle the swashes for a year may be taxing and not nearly intellectually stimulating enough for you...plus, I know that Johnny Depp and Mr. Bloom make pretty good looking pirates, but for the most part they are notoriously gangly and grimely looking. So,second choice for you Pablo Honey, is option numero 2. I eagerly anticipate the results of your inquiry as well as your final decision.

2:30 AM

 
Blogger Casey and/or Julianna said...

Option 2 sounds potentially fulfilling, but leaving free housing and the time to do whatever you please? That's a tough call. There's also the possibility that you won't be able to find another job.

I'd go with #1, save up some more money, and be ready to bolt when next year comes around.

Juli and I just recontracted for another year, so we'll be sticking around. I'll let you know the next time we'll be in Tokyo.

Cheers,
Casey

8:56 AM

 
Blogger Troy said...

OK, if no pirate ship can be had, (Give me some time, I'm working on it...ask Ben and Amanda. I also must admit, I doubt I will be able to get Messrs Bloom and Depp to sign on. You'll have to make do with actual pirates.) I'd say move back to Seattle. Oh yeah! Seattle wasn't on the list...>(
Seriously though, I would go for #2 as well. Then again, what do I know? Not much. Do that which is good. Do what makes you happy. Don't try to take life and twist its arm to force it to relinguish some goal to you in pursuit of some notion of success. I'm also excited to see where the chips fall.

1:37 PM

 
Blogger sarah :) said...

I agree with Casey...stay stay stay! :)

9:28 PM

 
Blogger Benjamin Langhans said...

Just like my wife pointed out, option 4 is tempting. You do get to see a whole lot of the world; granted, it is from the poop deck. I would nonetheless suggest a nice 2, 3 combo. Search out both a Japanese job option while working all of your Tessara connections. See which job possibilities come to the surface and pounce on one. You do make a good point about language fluency. That might make staying in Japan the best of the options if you are wanting to keep your multilingual assets strong.

At the end of the day, I would love to have you back in Seattle. But that will happen all in due time.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger Mark Rodli said...

So, everyone seems to like the 4th option, but is that really an option or a calling. Listen to God's voice, maybe He is gently telling you to do number 4. (Disclaimer=I am not God, nor has He spoken to me on this account). Many, Many people would love for you to come back to Seattle and live the Northwest Adventure with us, but that does not seem to be on option (what about Seattle as option #5?). I like your opportunity to stay in Japan, but try something different than Jet like business and guiding. You can go to Spain (which I loved) anytime like you said. My thought, finish out over there and learn more Japanese to broader your horizons. Either way, have fun over there.

12:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home