Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Hanabi

Back home in Nihon- and I sure am glad. Don't get me wrong... Thailand and Laos were awesome, but there's no place like home. (How has THIS place become home?!?) I have lots and lots to show and tell about my most awesome vacation, but first things first- HANABI! The night before I left for Thailand I experienced my first display of fireworks (hanabi) in Japan. My friend Yoshi invited me to the Japanese Air Base where he lives and works to see the hanabi, have good food, and best of all, sport my new yukata. Yukata are summer kimono, much lighter to wear and pretty colorful. They are worn with wooden shoes called geta, and are the most casual kimono worn. A summertime MUST in Japan. So, just a few weeks ago I went shopping and picked out the perfect maroon and pink yukata with a deep green obi (the sash that ties at the waist). I got matching geta and purse too. Obviously the only thing left to work out was getting it all on...



The final product! Not too shabby, huh? I think I look pretty darn locally grown. ;) The obi is really the only tough part, and although I did learn how to tie the bow all by my self, I opted to have my ever-so-kind teachers at school help me. The bow they made was a trillion times better than my shoddy attempt. And I didn't want to be THAT gaijin who wore the kimono wrong and insulted Japanese tradition and honor. Not on my first time out of the gates, anyway.



A small uchiwa, or hand fan is tucked into my obi on my back. It's like a little carrying spot for the fans, although I did see a couple cell phones tucked in those obis too. Let me also add that under the obi I was tied up with silk strings around my waist to keep the yukata tight, then a towel tied to my back to help show off the shape of the bow, and then the obi. The Japanese version of the corset, I tell ya. How does every culture come to believe that beauty is pain?! Somebody look into that answer and please, for the love, get back to me.



A close-up of that complicated bow. Thank goodness for my helpers- how do you think I woulda tied that thing by myself?!?!



Me and Yoshi a couple beers into the night. Good times. My first yukata wearing was a big success. I loved wearing it and finally after a year here in Japan, I felt okay wearing it. When I first arrived it seemed silly to buy or wear a yukata, like it would be silly to be a foreigner rushing to become "cultured" in all things Japanese. But now... it's not silly at all to me. I love Japan. I love my new home. I love being a part of my community and learning about the traditions of Japan. And after a year, I've paid my dues and now I get to enjoy it all, not as a spectator but as a participant. Now that's real.

2 Comments:

Blogger c.w.s. said...

Hey..! Nice Blog!Fantastic yakuta!!!!.. Wana read up my blog too?! :)

3:19 AM

 
Blogger suzan said...

You look great in the yukata!!!! Everything is so natsukashii. Enjoy yourself, Pablo.

1:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home