Japan: The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between when it comes to being a foreigner in Tokyo.

Friday, July 21, 2006

I Heart Hiroshima

For my first trip to southern Japan, I decided to visit the ever-so-wonderful Callie and Phil- old college friends from Seattle and also English teachers in Japan. Lemme just say, I Heart Hiroshima! I absolutely loved it down there, although I can't really tell if it was just because I was with my friends or if really the city is all that cool. :) Compared to Tokyo, Hiroshima is a walk in the park. It is smaller, still beautiful and has the usual array of both modernity and antiquity. I'm a believer.



Allow me to introduce my lovely guides: Callie and Phil. Callie studied Education with me at Northwest and Phil and I were both athletes at our university. And... these guys are wonderful! I had so much fun with them and they were truly great, great hosts... letting me pick the tv shows we watched, graciously allowing me the first shower after a long day of hiking, and best of all, showing me local hot spots in Hiroshima. Thanks again you guys!



Here's the beautiful gate at Miyajima island, near Hiroshima. The gate is on every single flyer for Japan- it's known as the floating gate, as you can see it is surrounded by the tide and appears to be floating. The whole island was one great big fun memory... there are savage deer everywhere that you can feed but they will try and eat paper or your shirt. I was afraid. But otherwise the island was awesome!



I even brought a friend. A la Amelie... here's my Hiroshima/Miyajima Kitty... she's a deer, fitting of the island.

Lastly, throughout the day on the island we ate delicious food and hiked around checking out the view. Phil and Callie took me to get tempura style momiji manju, a deep fried sweet cake with anko (red bean) flavored paste inside. It was chou oishii! (that is, finger-licking good) Anyway, after a great meal of oysters with egg served on rice and shave ice, we hiked up to the highest point on the island to get a 360 degree view. It was breathtaking and worth every minute of the hike, even under the blazing sun.



Coming back down from the hike, the tide had gone out and we were able to go up to the temple gate and stand near it on dry land. It was awesome to see the temple both floating and standing on solid ground.

All in all, a pretty good first day in Hiroshima. Did I already mention that I Heart Hiroshima?

3 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin Langhans said...

Pabs,

I love your apetite for adventure. I love it. I love it. I love it! (SNL reference)

We definitely need to do some international (or local) traveling together. If you stay in Japan, maybe Amanda and I will scrape together our pennies so we can come visit. That would be amazing... maybe i could by a Ben Kitty. I don't know if they have those, but I'm sure it would be Supa Kool. And, Yes, that is a technical term.

- Ben

12:48 AM

 
Blogger C. Olson said...

Pablo!! I told you no pictures from that day allowed on your blog! But, I understand that we didn't take too many pictures after that day of all of us, so I will forgive you;) I'm glad you heart Hiroshima and we heart you, so can you feel the heart? We will update our blog soon, but with packing and good-byes we haven't had much time lately and may have to wait till we're back home. Take care Pabs

12:58 AM

 
Blogger suzan said...

I am so urayamashii!

1:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home